The solar powered gate operator is considered a “Qualified Solar Electric Property” authorized by the Internal Revenue Code Section 25D under the definition provided in paragraph d.2 and as such qualifies for the Residential Energy Efficient Tax Credit. You will need to complete Federal Form 5695 and attach it to your personal tax return in order to claim this credit. If you have any questions regarding this Federal Tax Credit, Form 5695 or its instructions, please consult your tax adviser. You should also check with your state tax agency to see if your state offers any additional solar energy tax incentives.
The solar system tax credit applies to the total installed cost of the solar gate operator system. This includes the related solar panel, gate operator, solar control box, access control device, remote controls, entrapment protection device(s), etc. The cost of the gate itself, or work required to place the physical gate into proper working order (leveling, replacing hinges, etc.).
- The installation of a Solar Powered Gate System
- Effective for tax years beginning after December 31, 2008
- You will need to use The Federal Tax Credit form 5695, Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit
- You will need to provide a copy of the “Manufacturer’s Certification for Credit”
- The dwelling must be located in the United States and used as a residence by the taxpayer
- This offer is only available in the United States